Sunday, December 26, 2010

Merry, Happy, Christmas, Holiday, Hanukkah?

Every hospital has a "diversity" policy. You can't discriminate against any one's religious choices, which is understandable. Apparently, this does not apply to their employees in some places.

As we have just finished celebrating the Birthday of Jesus, I find it the perfect time to recognize how unless you are a patient, you don't get to choose how you express those feelings. We were encouraged by our facility to wish patients "Happy Holidays." I understand that this is to make sure you are including all those areas in which may be celebrated, but what about how it makes me feel?

Saying the phrase "Merry Christmas" is the one thing that truly brings a smile to my face this time of year. If I want to wish my patients and coworkers a "Merry Christmas", then I will. You can not demand I treat my patients rights equally, but then not my own. By telling me I can't use the phrase that backs what I believe Christmas to be is an ethical no no.

Sadly hospitals and  other employers have been getting away with it for years. I know to some people this may seem like a small blip on the radar, but to some of us, our faith is what shapes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment