Friday, April 1, 2011

The Best of the Best...

Every year U.S. News gets down and dirty with the hospital systems of this country. The new numbers are out for 2010-2011. I actually had a good laugh when I saw the rankings this year. In years past, I've seen a few of the hospitals that I've worked at among the top 10 or 20 in the ranks. This year, not even the one I currently work for made top 10 in any category. They push us to be the best, to give the best care, to exceed what's expected....and yet, here we sit.

I'm going to show you a few of the breakdowns from this season:

Pulmonology: 1. National Jewish Health (Denver), 2. Mayo Clinic (MN), 3. Cleveland Clinic (Ohio)
**Being the RT that I am, this was the first breakdown I looked at. Now, I'm going to add a little to this and tell you that, John Hopkins came in at #4, Mass Gen in Boston #5, Duke in NC #6, and at #7 UPMC- Univ of Pitt Medical Center in Pittsburgh, PA. Are they all great hospitals? Yes. Factoid of the night: UPMC has the highest success rate of lung transplant on the east coast at the moment. Above Hopkins, Mass Gen, and Duke...yet it sits at #7 for Pulmonology.

Cardiovascular: 1. Cleveland Clinic 2. Mayo 3. John Hopkins

Neurology and Neurosurgery: 1. John Hopkins 2. Mayo

Kidney Disorders: 1. Mayo 2. John Hopkins 3. Cleveland Clinic

I could keep going, but do we see the trend? There are several different specialities listed, and no...these three aren't the top 3 the whole time, but obviously they are doing something right.

National standards help keep patients safe, control facilities and make hospitals better...but why is it, that year after year following the rules, one outshines the other?

There are lots of reasons. Some for the good and some for the worse.

Maybe if we all excelled for the high standard that everyone did, the polls wouldn't look so outnumbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment