Monday, April 11, 2011

When do you stop searching?

So, I'm 28 (soon to be 29 years old). I've worked the past 8 years as an RT. I have my B.S., hold 4 state licenses, RRT, I taught college for a year, and have worked at a few of the best hospitals on the East coast. You would think...that would be enough. You are sorely mistaken.

Friday, I interviewed at the #1 hospital in the U.S. As you remember from older posts, U.S News does there poll every year, and this makes them #1 for the 20th year in a row. I am speaking of none other than Johns Hopkins. The two days prior to the interview, I was so nervous my stomach wouldn't settle down. It's just like any other interview right? NO, its HOPKINS! hello!? People come from around the world to go here. So with a little self reminding, "you are qualified for this job...right?" "shut up, you are qualified for this job" I dove in.

I spent 4.5 hours between HR and the Respiratory department, (without a tour people). Once there, the Director decided I was going to in fact interview for two positions and not just one. Crap. As I'm sitting with the Director speaking with him, he said something that threw me off alittle. Why? Because it's something that's only ever been in my head. I've never said it out loud, or expressed it to anyone that mattered...but here he is calling me out after 15 mins of meeting me. He said, "You are looking for the up and coming, the bigger and better, the new and exciting, something more challenging" I smiled. He said, "I was you about 16 years ago, and if I didn't find that bigger better, I was going to get out."

I always knew from the start I would need "new and exciting." I am someone who needs to be challenged. Once I've sucked a place dry of everything it has to offer, I look. So, it begs the question, will there ever be somewhere that can constantly give me what I'm looking for? A never ending stream of better, exciting, challenging things to keep me busy? If not, what's my option, settle...or get the hell out?

I hit the ground running out of school. I wanted my resume to look a certain way, and it does. Along with that comes all my clinical and practical experience. I am what they call, "the ideal hire."

Maybe this time, I could stay put? Try and keep my interest peaked and enjoy what the new experience has to offer. Maybe I will bolt after 2 years, claiming, "it just wasn't enough." Who knows, either way, it makes things more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment